Saturday, December 24, 2011

'Well, Mr. Potter, In My Book He Died A Much Richer Man Than You'll Ever Be.'

Sixty-six years ago on Christmas eve, George Bailey was at the end of his rope and was about to jump off a bridge in Bedford Falls, New York. So began the beginning of the end of It’s A Wonderful Life, a movie that I never tire of seeing this time of year.

Even when I was at my most cynical, It’s A Wonderful Life was never corny. On one very lonely Christmas Eve, it helped me through a long night, while with every passing year its message -- considered too simplistic by the movie's few critics -- continues to humble and inspire me.

That message reverberates even more strongly in these troubled times: Each of us, no matter how insignificant we may seem, has the power to make a difference. And that the true measure of our humanity has nothing to do with fame or money, but with how we live our life.

If it’s been a while since you’ve seen It’s A Wonderful Life, check your TV listings or download it from Netflix. If you’ve never seen it, you owe it to yourself to do so.

Oh, and have yourself a happy holiday. See you next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment